Sunday, August 22, 2010

Playing with Patterns

Every scrapper has their own style, their own characteristic way of placing their photos together, and their distinctive embellishments they use. My “trademark” supplies are pattern papers. I used to be so afraid of pattern, and my layouts would be stark landscapes with a few photos and an embellishment or 2 placed on top of a single color of cardstock. My layouts were very clean and simple, but they just weren’t me. I’m a messy kinda gal, not matchy-matchy, not clean and simple-more like funky, playful and artsy. Experimenting with patterns really helped me to express myself and I am much happier with my layouts now.

Mixing plaids, stripes and polka dots all on one layout can be a very daunting task for some, so take it slow and let the “professionals” do the dirty work for you! Grab a pack of paper from one manufacturer, choose 2 or 3 patterns from the kit, combine in small quantities on your page and you have just created a masterpiece of patterns. By choosing papers from one kit, you can be reassured that they coordinate in just the right way- your project can be fun and playful with out being a hot mess!

Southern Girls Challenge has a design team call going on right now, looking for scrappers to submit a project showcasing their favorite embellishments, so I submitted my “Bunny Breakfast” layout (below) showing how I’ve combined patterns to create may background. It might seem busy to you, but I like the crazy fun background it creates! Try it out for yourself, grab those polka dots and plaids and give it a whirl! =) T

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments put a smile on my face, please let me know you stopped by!